Support for Dyslexic Students


‘Disabled Students’ Allowances are a Government grant that can help pay for assistive technology and hardware to help deal with some of the symptoms of your dyslexia.

You are eligible for DSA if you are a student on a higher education course who lives in the UK and can prove that you have a disability, medical condition, sensory impairment, mental-health condition or a specific learning difficulty which affects your ability to study.

To apply, you will need to provide a full diagnostic report, written after you were 16, from a chartered or practitioner psychologist or a specialist teacher holding a current Assessment Practising Certificate. Your college or university’s Disability Adviser may be able to help arrange this.

Alternatively, one of these organisations may be able to offer assistance:

Student Finance England website

Student Finance Wales website

Student Awards Agency Scotland


The British Dyslexia Association

Subscribe to this blog, join our newsletter or follow us on Facebook or Twitter to keep up to date with new content. You might also like our podcasts.

The Codpast is a multimedia production from